About this site
Here is what I use to build this site:
- Jekyll, a static site generator. I was attracted by the fact that thanks to Jekyll, this site is nothing more than pure HTML/CSS/JS. No database. This is as scalable as it gets.
- Poole: foundations and sugar on top of Jekyll.
- The Hyde theme for Poole. Clean, although I modified its
h1 style a bit.
- Google+ Comments. Because this site has no DB, I can't host the comments, so I have to use an external service. I chose Google+ because this is where I spend most of my "social" time. And even though there is no official plugin yet, I just love how easy it is to put in on a site.
- This blog lives in GitHub Pages. This is free and very easy to use with Jekyll - as simple as a
git push. It also means I don't have to manage a server.
- Because I mainly work on Windows laptops (for now), I use Vagrant to start an Ubuntu 12.O4 VM. Jekyll runs here. Hacking on Linux is always easier!
- Vagrant enables me to mount a host-located directory in the VM. This way, I can use Sublime Text in Windows to edit my files, and Jekyll serves it from the VM. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the watch option of Jekyll work in this configuration. So no live reload for me...
Everything is in a public repo on github.